Is Lead Nurturing The Most Effective Demand Generation Strategy?
Effective demand generation is crucial for building interest in your organization’s products and services, but many organizations are confused about the key elements of building demand. This post gives you 5 top best practices for creating effective campaigns that interest your key audience, driving sales and ROI from your online efforts.
In effective content marketing and digital marketing, demand generation comes before lead generation. It makes a prospect aware of an offer, product or service, and then observes the prospect’s response.
It’s all about building brand awareness and authority.
Prospects who respond favorably are led through a steady lead nurturing process that converts them to genuine leads.
Here are our Top 5 Demand Generation Best Practices,
1. Have Clear Definitions Of Who Are Your Best Leads
This is one of the most important elements for effective demand generation because if you’re not sure what a quality lead looks like, how can you tell if you’re building demand successfully?
At the end of the day, your demand generation activities are meant to help you drive sales. If your leads aren’t relevant or qualified properly, then you’re failing in your lead generation process. Building lead profiles and personas based on a deep understanding of who you’re trying to reach and what they’re looking for is an important step to help identify your best leads.
You need to have a Lead Scoring tool to assist you with this task. With a good Lead Scoring tool, you can make use of both implicit and explicit lead score values to build an automated process and to measure and optimize your Demand Generation Programs.
2. Keep Campaigns Relevant & Targeted
The more personalized your campaigns are, the more intrigued your leads will be, keeping your demand generation campaigns targeted help improve your response rates. Remember: not all leads are alike. Developing careful lead profiles and targeted campaigns can help you succeed in this step. Reach out to leads with what they’re specifically looking for, and you will get much better results.
Personalizing your Demand Generation campaigns using lead segmentation is the best way to ensure that your message is relevant and engaging with the right lead at the right time. Capturing this data within your lead database is crucial and can be used throughout your lead nurturing process. You also need a tool that allows you to create custom attributes specific to your prospects, products, and services, and be able to tie those custom attributes to lead scoring.
You can create targeted campaigns using segmentation based on the leads’ custom attributes. A best of breed tool will also allow you to set up campaigns that are based on dynamic segmentation. That is, after you setup segmentation rules, the tool should take care of the manual work of executing a targeted campaign.
3. Find Where Your Customers Are
Do a little research into where your key audience interacts online. You can then make sure that you’re using the right channels to reach them. Modern marketers now own multiple channels – website, email, mobile, social media.
You need to know which channels your leads like to use the most. If you’re not launching your campaigns where your customers are, the leads you get won’t be the kind of qualified leads you require to drive sales.
Your campaigns cannot be one-size fits all approach. You have to target your communications to your audience via the right channel that you own. You want to be sure that the right message is being delivered in the right channel.
Depending on your company’s product and services offering, you may need to develop a thorough multi-step email campaign program, social media presence, invest in tradeshows, conferences, or develop a regular podcast or webinar schedule.
4. Nurture Your Leads
When it comes to B2B lead conversion, the truth is that most leads that you get online aren’t immediately ready to purchase your products or services. By developing an effective lead nurturing process which caters to different types of leads, you can help keep your company front-of-mind and build relationships to help improve your chances of a future sale.
Lead Nurturing can be accomplished using a variety of tactics, but fundamentally, you need to use a web marketing tool that will allow you to build simple and multi-level touch point programs based on the actions and data of the leads you are converting.
5. Optimize Sales & Marketing Alignment
When your sales and marketing teams are aligned, you’ll have an easier time managing the leads you create and ensuring that you get the most ROI you can out of your campaigns.
Increasing communication between your Sales and Marketing departments will go a long way to aligning your initiatives. Providing campaign performance results to your Sales team can help them understand what you are doing and how it ultimately benefits them. Dashboard and analytics reporting are keys to help you communicate your results effectively.
These 5 Best Practices will drastically improve your lead generation effectiveness. Do you have the right tool to help you apply the best practices? Find out how with Marqui Management’s CMS consultants can help you to generate more qualified leads!
If you recall, we just finished a webinar on the basics of lead nurturing, and as an accompaniment to that presentation, we thought we’d post some of our tried and true tips for building successful lead nurturing campaigns.
- Start simple. Before getting into complicated branching scenarios within your campaign, just implement a few basic multi-step campaigns that send 3 or 4 emails on a time delay.
- Don’t wear out your welcome. It is important to remember when creating a campaign and determining time intervals that you want to be careful about sending too many messages. The quickest way to destroy a relationship with a lead is for them to feel bombarded by your touches.
- Just like regular email campaigns, the offer is critical. We can’t emphasize this point enough. If your offer isn’t properly stated and relevant to your audience, then your campaign is useless.
- Regular segmentation is your friend. Build tailored lead nurturing campaigns for each of your key sub-segments to ensure that your campaigns remain targeted.
- Test thoroughly and carefully before deploying. This is especially critical if you’re using automated tools. The advantage (and sometimes disadvantage) of using automated tools is the idea that you can, “set it and forget it.” Sometimes this can lead to neglect in regular testing, and that can be detrimental to the overall success of your campaign.
- Work out the hand-off between sales and marketing. How does sales add leads to nurturing programs? How does sales ensure a prospect doesn’t get nurtured? For your Lead Nurturing process to run smoothly, it’s important to ensure that your sales and marketing teams have a clear plan for the different aspects of your strategy.
- Measure and tweak overtime to improve results. Analytics for your campaigns are an important way to test your conversion rates and to improve your campaigns for the future.
“We are recognized as a Top 25 Enterprise Logo Design & Branding Agency on DesignRush”